Read our guide on common types of electrical enclosures, or find more information below.
Choosing an Electrical Enclosure for Your Application
An electrical enclosure is often the only thing protecting sensitive electrical and electronic equipment against water, dust, corrosive substances, or other environmental hazards. That’s why it’s so important to thoroughly evaluate an enclosure that you’re using for any demanding application, whether it’s an electrical junction box for outdoor receptacles or a control panel enclosure for a critical piece of machinery.
So, how can you find the enclosure that’s right for your application? These are some key factors you should be familiar with:
- Weatherproofing Features: Enclosures for outdoor applications should include weatherproofing features such as a waterproof/dustproof gasket and mated parts to keep out water and particulates.
- IP Rating or NEMA Rating: These two systems rate key performance factors such as (depending on the system) water protection, dust protection and corrosion resistance. Look for a UL Listed rating to ensure the enclosure has been independently tested to meet its rating.
- Material: Choose an outdoor enclosure made from durable materials like aluminum or stainless steel, or non-metallic enclosures made from polycarbonate and/or fiberglass-reinforced polycarbonate. These offer more reliable performance than common alternatives like PVC.
- Security: Many outdoor enclosures need to be secured against unauthorized access. Look for features like a built-in padlock hasp or a locking hinged cover if security is a factor for your application.
Shop Polycase’s Electrical Enclosure Selection
For over 65 years, Polycase has provided high-quality enclosures at reasonable prices to the electrical and electronics industries. Today, we’re proud to offer our best-ever selection of electrical enclosures, including:
- IP and NEMA enclosures with ratings verified by UL
- Numerous configurations available, including optional wall-mount flanges, hinged covers, and built-in knockouts
- Wide range of material options including polycarbonate, aluminum, and stainless steel enclosures
- Incredibly fast and easy enclosure customization, with instant quotes on CNC machining and digital printing services
- Accessories available for protecting conductors and maintaining ingress ratings
Browse our selection of outdoor enclosures here and find one that’s perfect for your application. To find what you need more quickly, use the filter options and select the characteristics you’re looking for.